Saturday, May 23, 2009

Ren Faire, et al.

So, I went to my first Renaissance Faire today and, sadly, I have to report that I did not enjoy it. Now, before all my Ren Faire loving friends bawk, my displeasure had nothing to do with the event itself. It was all me. Four hours of sleep, a tummy ache (I'm blaming it on the Waffle House breakfast bike ride), and a back ache pretty much ruined the entire experience for me. I just was not feeling it at all. But I did try...or at least I think I tried. Reggie, Steve, and I met up with Jenn and her workmate/friend, Jamie. After a few minutes of hellos, chatting, and wandering we did a gender split. I have no idea what the boys did during this time, but the girls spent an hour looking at shiny glittery things, swords, and men. I just wish I could have been in a better mood to participate, and many apologies to all if I was a downer. And another apology for dropping out early. But well, considering my state, I think my premature departure was the best possible decision. It made me feel a little better when I joined back up with Reggie and Steve and they said they were okay with leaving because they wanted to ge to a bike shop before it closed.

But I will have to give Ren Faire another chance in the future.

There were some unexpected high points.

1. While coming into the area we saw an ungodly line of cars waiting to get in. Luckily, Reggie spotted a sliver of a road on his GPS. We decided to explore this, and it turned out to be a secret road that led right up to the entrance of the parking area...we bypassed all the wait. Skipping line FTW.

2. While standing outside the gates waiting for Steve and Reggie I hear my name being yelled in the distance. I turn around and see my sister-in-law, Amanda. Unfortunately, my wee bro, Will, had to work today but it was a cool surprise to bump into Amanda. We chatted for ten or so minutes. The unfortuanate thing is that she and her family had already bought their tickets...so no sneaky armband handoffs.

After we left Ren Faire we drove to Nashville, ate lunch at Sam and Zoe's, visited Gran Forno cycle shop, Cumberland Transit, REI, and finished up with a visit to Fresh Market for dinner fixins. I continued to feel like hammered dogshit for the remainder of the day...but I tried to make the best of it without biting any heads off. ;oP

2 comments:

  1. I'll admit it. The men looked at bewbs and vulcan ears. It was arousing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Honestly, I didn't expect anything less.

    ReplyDelete