Monday, May 11, 2009

The Great Texas Adventure

So, apparently if you spend an entire day half-napping and half-doing eff all nothing as a way to recuperate from eleven days on a motorcycle...you end up wide awake at midnight. Just a little FYI. I spent the last hour or so going through trip photos, doing a little editing and such. I have a lot of pictures that just look like piles of rocks. Like this one:

But the neat thing is that with a little effort that pile of rocks actually came out looking a little surreal. And I think "surreal" is a good way to describe the trip overall.

First of all, I didn't expect west Texas to be so friggin', amazingly beautiful. Seriously, who knew trees and grass hid so much cool stuff?!?!?!?!

Second, the group was awesome. Everyone gelled really well...probably because a few of them have known each other longer than they've known their own mothers. But even the newcomers, me included, got along with everyone.

And third, I never in a million and a half years would have expected Mexican food to be so damn tasty for breakfast. But, I just cannot rave enough about chorizo and egg tacos. TastT!


Everyone kept commenting about how well I was doing on the trip. I get the sneaky suspicion that the more experienced riders in the group (Mike included) expected me to wimp out half way through or be a miserable whiny cow. And they probably had good reason to suspect such an event/reaction. But really...there were so many things that I love involved in the trip: the great outdoors, hot weather, creepy bug things, adventure. And all that stuff offset all of the new and unknown experiences: like being on a motorcycle for only the second time in my life and it was a wopper of a ride at 3000+ miles. And even that wasn't that bad. Sure, the 700 mile stretches really pushed the limits of my ass, but while we were touring we never really did more than 60 miles without stopping for a break. Easy Peasy.


I was also told by more than one person in the group that I need to attend future events...AND next time I should ride my own "scooter." So, that's another incentive to graduate and get a job. :D But even Mike warned that I did so well I could end up a long-distance trip partner...but I get the sneaky suspicion that all hangs on how well the trip photos turn out. hehehe.


Favoritest Thing: Big Bend National Park
Unfavoritest Thing: the long and boring 700-mile stretch to and from TX
Voted MVI (Most Valuable Item): my Camelbac bottle with tube, definite necessity in the desert
Funnest Activity: sitting back and listening to Mike's mom and stepdad banter back and forth
2nd Funnest Activity: going fast...vrooooooooooooooom!
Unfunnest Activity: waking up at 6am every friggin' morning for 8am starts. SLEEP, PEOPLE!
2nd Unfunnest Activity: working on a final exam for the majority of the trip.
Would I Do It Again?: Hell yeah!

Anyway, the Texas ride gets two Jenny thumbs up.

So when do we go again???????

1 comment:

  1. I swear I am jealous as hell, it sounds like the coolest trip ever. You need to get a bike and I can ride bitch *LOL*

    ReplyDelete