Monday, May 18, 2009

Bringing Up the Rear for a Strong Finish

I can't even count the number of times my personal trainer has fussed at me about working out when ill...at least a dozen times maybe. And do I listen? Uhmmm...generally, no. And today was no exception. I spent most of the day dragging my feet from one sitting spot to another. Tummy aches suck, but they suck even worse with a slightly sore throat. So, it really would have been a good idea to reject Steve's offer of joining him and Reggie on a 20-mile bike ride this evening. But I did it anyway.

And boy did it suck! I was easily a quarter of a mile or more behind Reggie and Steve the entire ride. Even though neither my tummy nor throat bothered me on the ride, I was dragging ass. I had no energy and my legs felt like they were on fire--and that can be blamed on either leg presses on Thursday or racing Mike up a hill on the weekend greenway hike. /sigh

But see, I finished the ride strong. Reggie likes to let me get ahead and then zoom past just as we are reaching our stopping point. And I pulled that ole trick on him tonight. We were pedaling down a hill toward a break in the median so we could cross the road and double back. I found a gap in between the cars racing by, slipped through, and pedaled my little heart out all the way to the top of the hill.

Shaaabang! Sneaky maneuvers, FTW.

3 comments:

  1. *grin* All I saw was a streak of lightning. I could tell you were draging during the ride. After thr 10-15 mile point I could tell it was pure determination to make it to the end. When you hit the back road to Walmart I was like WOW. I looked round to see you streak past and that was the last till I reach the end. Excellent finish BTW

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah... At that time of night, my primary concern was making sure everyone made it home safely. Particularly at the on and off ramps of 41A and 101. I stayed between you two where I could see you in front of me and Steve in my rearview mirror. C'mon now, let's be realistic, there is no way you would have caught me if I hadn't been concerned about you in the last mile.

    I'm not going to coddle you. I'm not your husband. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Boys always have a good excuse ready when a girl kicks his ass. ;oP

    ReplyDelete