Sunday, November 8, 2009

The Mark

So I bought a bluetooth enabled motorcyle helmet.... wait, but first let me say something else:

Ok, a small confession...I'm not a tech nerd (or whatever it is those people are calling themselves these days). As a general rule, I'm best described as a ludite. I'm usually the last to jump onto the "latest and greatest" technological bandwagon, and once I do accept some form of technology I tend to hold onto it until its considered archaic (which by today's standard is about 4 months, but in my case tends to be years). My cell phone history is a great example. I started out with a Nokia flip phone, you know that basic piece of crap they give every new cell phone subscriber for free...in fact, its so shitty they may actually pay you to take it off their hands. I upgraded to a Motorola SLVR four or five years ago...yeah, seriously...who the hell keeps a cell phone for four years these days? Even better, how many cell phones actually last four years? Anyway, I love the SLVR so I've been very hesitant to part with it, as is the way of ludites.

Right, so I bought a bluetooth enabled helmet. It's a pretty nifty concept...well to someone out of the technological loop it seems pretty nifty...phone and music through a bluetooth device. Nice! But after searching the net for a reasonably priced bluetooth MP3 player and coming up with nothing, Steve says, "it would be cheaper to just buy a new cell phone." Now Steve knows I don't want a new cell phone. He's tried to seperate me from my SLVR for years, and to no avail. So it's with this knowledge that I'm going to go ahead and say that he tricked me into buying a new cell tonight. He'd bought the same bluetooth helmet as I, but his was having limited range so I'd pretty much resigned myself to just having a bluetooth helmet sans working bluetooth capabilities without ever really plugging the damn thing in and testing it out. But I did, and to my surprise, it connects and has a range of 10+ feet. Sweet!

So Steve chimes in with, "well now all we need to do is get you a bluetooth device that will hold lots of songs, we could go to Best Buy." So with 30 minutes til closing time we speed to Best Buy, pick out a new cell phone (a Samsung Sillouette btw), fiddle about with the phone over dinner and then go to Walmart to purchase a memory card to hold all these songs. And it was on the drive back to the house when my brain put one and one together. I'd just been tricked into buying a new cell phone. Because, my SLVR has an iTunes app and Bluetooth and a memory card. All it needed was a larger memory card so that the phone would hold a practical number of songs.

I mean sure, the new phone is nifty and new and has lots of cool features (like GPS with vocal turn-by-turn directions or I could watch streaming video),...but there was and still is nothing wrong with my SLVR. Its a great phone and it (and I) have smuggly sat back as friends with lesser communications devices have had to upgrade because their latest and greatest phone has turned out to be a total piece of shit. And here I am, with my own latest and greatest phone, loading songs and transferring contacts...and keep asking myself,...how the hell did I get talked into this again?

Dammit.
Geeks: 1.
Jen: 0.

No comments:

Post a Comment