Wednesday, October 21, 2009

About Time

So Clarksville's very first Greenway opened in late September. Yeah, seriously, way to join the greenway revolution...decades late. But hey, better late than never. The CGW (not to be confused with Clarksville Gas & Water) is only in phase 1 --which equates to some 2.5- 3.0 miles of asphalt. Right now it's barely long enough to work up a good sweat, but it already has far more potential than Ashland City's out-and-back 6 mile greenway. I'm often disappointed in greenways that lead to...nowhere. To me, these rails-to-trails projects should serve the dual function of both green space and practical green mobility. What's the use in a fancy schmancy paved path if you still have to risk your life by getting on Clarksville's mean streets to get to work/campus/pub/etc. I want a REAL greenway, the cyclist's version of a highway or parkway. I probably shouldn't judge Clarksville Greenway Phase I, but I have my suspicions that once the project is complete I will be resigned to accept it as a recreational space, and nothing more.

2 comments:

  1. David and I walked the Greenway in Springfield. I'm not sure if its up to a cyclists standard. But its secluded (in a good way)winding, and beautiful scenery! Begins and ends in a park.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, the Springfield Greenway is a good place to get in six miles of exercise. I just wish we had an effective Greenway system that can be used as a transportation path, not just for recreational use. I know, I know...I ask too much. :)

    ReplyDelete