Saturday, November 8, 2008

Things that scare the shit out of me...

Call me paranoid, I don't care. But today I was driving to campus when I passed a mini-convoy of two military-grade humvees. Okay, right, so far so good, nothing out of the ordinary there, after all I live in a military town, convoys are fairly common. But on top of each humvee was mounted a huge ass gun (for arguments sake lets just assume it was some type of large machine gun) on a turret, and each machine gun was manned...with a live, honest to god American "hero" at the ready. Double-u, tee, eff?

Fine, I'll play nice and assume the guns did not contain live ammunion. I'll even give the benefit of the doubt that they were merely moving from point A to point B. But I find the soldier-with-gun blazenly parading through lunchtime traffic a little disconcerting. This show of force didn't comfort me in any way. And I can't help but wonder, is this what Americans can expect to see now that an army has been deployed within U.S. borders? Are American streets to be patroled in the same manner as the streets of Bagdad?

I think its time to consider that underground bunker.

No comments:

Post a Comment