Wednesday, November 19, 2008

"Hey, mom, why's it called that?"

That is the question I expect the next generation to ask when someone in the future makes a reference to Boothill.

For those of you that drive up New Providence Blvd on a regular (or maybe even an irregular) basis, you might notice something missing from the skyline. Yep, you read it correctly. Boothill no longer has its namesake: the giant boot. I only noticed it this morning. I searched google for a photo, but apparently no one has ever thought to post a pic. I'm not even a Clarksville native but I'm kinda sad that giant foot apparel is now gone.

I mean really, what's Boothill without the boot!?!?!?!?!?!?

6 comments:

  1. Hmph, I had never associated the name with that sign before reading your post. I wonder where that sign is right now? Giving the pink elephant a swift kick maybe? Ah yes, that would be boot heaven...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd heard it was because soldiers used to run up and down there during training. Maybe the boot came AFTER the local reference. Just a thought...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, it always made sense to me, its called Boothill and it has a giant boot on it. But really, if it was called Boothill because of the soldiers why did they put up a cowboy boot, why not an army boot?

    ReplyDelete
  4. There was a factory outlet for Acme boot there years and years ago. I think that is why it's nicknamed boothill, or perhaps Tara is right and the Acme folks thought it a good place to put their outlet?

    I just found you! You didn't let me know :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Look people, you aren't listening (or interpretting my written word)...Its called Boothill and it had a giant boot on it. Simple. But yer missing the point...the boot is gone!!!! sheesh. :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hahaa! The boot was important to you. I understand... now come sit on Gimli's lap and tell me aaallll about the Boot. *slygrin*

    ReplyDelete